Gutenbrunn Palace in Baden near Vienna
Illustrious personalities came and went here, numerous conversions and renovations over the centuries adapted the building to the spirit of the times and the taste of its owners. In the end, today's 4-star hotel was allowed to move in, which still has the charm of bygone eras.
Where does the name Gutenbrunn come from?
At one time there was a fresh water spring, called a good fountain, because this was a special feature in the soil of the city of Baden, which was soaked in sulfur water.
The court at Baden…
... as the Gutenbrunn was called at the beginning, went from the beginning in the 15th century through the hands of many owners:
- 1595: the k.k. Postmaster Hans Christoph von Wohlzieh von Neuhaus acquired the property, which was then given the name Posthof
- In 1683 the property was devastated by the Turks
- In 1700 it came into the possession of Johann Balthasar Edler von Freundtschlag, who built a chapel on the first floor
- In 1781 Abraham Wetzlar von Blankenstein acquired the reign of Gutenbrunn
- In 1783 the castle was completely rebuilt
- From 1803, a park was created around the castle, which in the Biedermeier period was the favorite promenade for spa guests
- In 1814 the statesman and writer Friedrich Gentz lived and in 1818 the later Prime Minister Felix Schwarzenberg
- After the dissolution of the patrimony in 1848/1850, the cadastral community of Gutenbrunn, in which the castle was located, was united with the city of Baden
- In 1897, Gutenbrunn Palace was Gustav Lantin acquired and almost entirely fell victim to the creation of a sanatorium. The chapel was also closed.
- In 1824 and 1825 Ludwig van Beethoven lived in an annex of Gutenbrunn Palace and wrote two of his string quartets there
- In 1899, Emperor Franz Joseph I visited the Gutenbrunn sanatorium on June 14, which was located in a large park with its main building, the Villa Maria, the Alexanderhof and the so-called Hermitage (Beethoven House) and the outbuildings.
- During the Second World War the sanatorium was used as a hospital and was occupied by the Russians in 1945 and badly damaged
- In 1960, the municipality of Baden acquired the dilapidated building and park
- On December 4, 1969, the architect Dipl.-Ing. Walter Nemetz the sanatorium and parts of the park and converted it into a hotel with 180 beds. Access to the former Kurmittelhaus, the mineral swimming school and the Baden indoor pool was also created.
- In 1995, Dipl.-Ing. Roland Nemetz the hotel. The hotel extension with entrance in Pelzgasse was sold and since a new adaptation of the castle part in 2004 the hotel in its most original form with main entrance in Rollettgasse 6 has been welcoming its guests.
- Since 2014 the Fischerlehner family has been successfully running Gutenbrunn as a thermal spa & sports hotel with its 50 rooms.
Living in historic walls: With its high walls, unique salon and tastefully furnished rooms, the 4 star Gutenbrunn Thermen & Sporthotel is a stylish refuge for those seeking relaxation and spa guests in the city of Baden near Vienna. Secure your vacation and send an inquiry to the hotel team!